Self Motivation - How to do it to get things done!
We've all been in that horrible place where the laws of inertia just refuse to work! Be it on a Monday morning when the weekend is nothing but a memory, and the next one up is many meetings and lots of stress away, or on a Friday afternoon when you're just waiting for the minutes to tick by so that you can pack your stuff and leave the office, deep down we all know that we must take care of our own motivation levels at work before things start spiraling downwards.
For this reason, in this blog post today, we are going to share with you some tips on how to maintain your motivation levels high at work.
- Write down what drains your motivation and make a plan - there is nothing more demotivating than feeling stuck in rut! A plan helps you see that there is a way forward.
- List your personal mid-term and long-term goals and focus on them - This helps you to look at the bigger picture and to see how what you are doing at the moment is all part of a brighter and better future.
- Push negative thoughts away - think positive! - Sometimes putting up a quote that you like and that motivates you next to your working station, or simply reminding yourself that negative thoughts will only pull you further down, helps. Once, a friend of mine came up with the phrase "It's useless complaining!"...and I still use that as my own personal motivator to quit complaining and start doing.
- See mistakes as lessons - This is also related to the previous point on negative thoughts and negativity in general.
- If the task you have to do seems too big, break it down into digestible chunks - This also helps with time management. If you have one big job to do, breaking it down into smaller tasks makes it more manageable and will help you to slot these tasks into your schedule based on the time that you have available.
- Surround yourself with positive people - again, negativity is a huge downer! Avoid it like the plague!
- Dress for Success - take pride in your appearance. Dress for the job you want, not the job you have!
- BANJOE: Bang a Nasty Job Out Early - start your day with the tasks you are not particularly fond of, rather than leaving them for the end of the day.
- Work with time, not against it - Many people consider time to be an enemy. This doesn't have to be so. Check out the pomodoro technique to help you work smarter, rather than harder.
- Manage Distractions - be it colleagues coming to your office for a chat, or your Facebook notifications constantly popping up...make sure that you discipline yourself to say no to distractions.
If you need any help on how to you can achieve this, or on how to help your members of staff stay motivated, do not hesitate to get in touch with us.